12.22.2013

Breadwinner


If these paintings are my children, this deeply personal piece may very well be my darkest child. It depicts an average family man named Roy, once again as many things I do, he exists in the 50‘s. He has a good, honest job as a bread delivery man, he has two beautiful children, a dog (once again a collie...I suppose I was thinking Lassie), a nice little home, and a lovely supportive wife. (supportive as evidenced by the fact that she is holding a toaster. Get it? Bread. Toaster.) 

Anyway, he is living the American dream...2.5 kids and a white picked fence. Still, in spite of all the good going on in his life, he was more than happy to “turn this wholesome world around” as written in the above passage and end it all by setting fire to his house and driving his bread truck off a cliff. 

It was done right around the time I turned 30, just before making a major move cross country from Boston to Mercer Island, WA. As best as I can interpret it, this illustrated my fears of the move and finally growing up to become a responsible adult...allegedly. I was also coming to terms with the fact that I’d likely have to give up my dreams of becoming an artist and instead hold down a more boring, socially acceptable corporate job with set office hours and a 401K. Roy seems to be rebelling against religion, (as evidenced by “Our Daily Bread) conformity, and social structure...these are themes repeatedly reflected in my own persona. 

Now,a dozen years later, whether or not I have become a responsible adult is still debatable. This painting has the distinction of being bi-coastal...started on one coast, finished on another. When others are asked which piece of mine is their favorite, most cite this one as their answer.

Measures 24" x 30"

No comments:

Post a Comment