12.22.2013

My Juvenile Fantasies

 With so many paintings taking place in the tropics and depicting tikis, palm trees and other exotic lore, it was a refreshing change to be able to finally illustrate ladybugs, dandelions, weeds and other less exotic material found in our own backyards. This was supposed to be representative of my own childhood and overactive imagination. The green army man, wooden block and bottle cap are all common childhood staples, but the space retro cowgirls riding on snails was a fun way to go quite silly and imaginative with it.  The flying saucers in the background are in childishly primary colors and, while I wasn’t born in the 50’s, I equate that era with nostalgia and childlike innocence, so the overly cute space cowgirls are in a Gil Elvgren retro pinup style. Its my juvenile fantasy after all.

Measures 11.5" x 19"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment