12.24.2013

True Grit - Arctic Terror!




In researching pulp covers and men’s magazines, many of them took place in exotic tropical locations but very few featured the Arctic. My idea was what if I could do a snowy pulp cover with lots of white. Polar bears immediately came to mind but in researching them online I found far too many sleeping, nuzzling and cuddling their cubs and more or less being very cute. This went against all definition of what a pulp cover should be. Finally it had occurred to me that stuffed trophies were usually posed in some sort of menacing position, so the bear was from a photo of a trophy.

The two figures in the foreground are of my girlfriend Lorraine and me, the only changes being I gave myself a full beard and she was portrayed with auburn hair instead of her usual grey streaks. The guns were merely a potato chip clip clamped to a ruler in her hand and a yardstick in mine. Initially we had posed for photos separately but in putting together the images we had realized the guns were pointing at each other...no good. So we stuck a sticky note to the wall, high up were we figured his chest would be, then posed together while using the camera’s timer and aiming at the sticky note. This worked well.

In traditional pulp cover style, Lorraine is showing copious amounts of cleavage. Why would she be provocatively undressed in the Arctic? Other than to sell more men’s magazines, I have no idea. Luckily she was a good sport and willing to pose in such a way.

Measures 18" x 24"



No comments:

Post a Comment